- (5 Tablespoons) tablespoons hoisin sauce
- (2 Tablespoons) rice wine vinegar
- (2 Tablespoons) soy sauce
- (1 1/4 teaspoon) roasted sesame oil
- (2 teaspoons divided) vegetable oil
- (1 lb) ground turkey
- (1 cup) carrots, grated
- (6) scallions, cut on diagonal
- (1 8 ounce can drained) water chestnuts, chopped
- (2 Tablespoons) ginger, fresh, minced
- (3 cloves) garlic, minced
- (1/2 teaspoon) black pepper
- (1/2 teaspoon) sriracha sauce
- (1 -2 heads depending on the size) Lettuce, bib, butter or head lettuce
- (as garnish) red peppers flakes, optional
- (optional) hot sauce
Place the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil in a small bowl and whisk.
Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add the ground turkey and cook through, breaking up the clumps, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer the turkey to a bowl and put to the aside.
Put the remaining 1 teaspoon oil into the pan. Add carrots, cook 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the water chestnuts, ginger, and garlic, cook for about about 30 seconds, stir in pepper and sriracha.
Add the turkey to the pan and add 1/2 of the scallions and the sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is warmed through 30 to 60 seconds.
With care break off the lettuce leaves and pile them on a plate. To serve, place a generous spoonful of chicken mixture in the middle of a lettuce leaf, top with scallions and red pepper flakes or hot sauce.